It is very important that we all work together to help keep children safe online. If anyone has acted inappropriately online, for example something that makes you feel uncomfortable or someone insisting you meet up, you can report it to CEOP: www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/
They also publish lots of useful information for children and their parents on the website www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
In school, the framework that helps us to ensure we use ICT safely is below:
STUDENT/PARENT AGREEMENT FOR ACCEPTABLE USE OF ICT 2015-16
I understand that I must use my device and school ICT systems in a responsible way, to ensure that there is no risk to my safety or to the safety and security of the ICT systems and other users.
For my own personal safety:
- I understand that the school will monitor my use of its ICT systems, email and other digital communications.
- I will not share my username and password nor will I try to use any other person’s username and password.
- I will be aware of “stranger danger”, when I am communicating on-line.
- I will not disclose or share personal information about myself or others when on-line.
- If I arrange to meet people off-line that I have communicated with on-line, I will do so in a public place and take an adult with me.
- I will immediately report to an appropriate adult any unpleasant or inappropriate material or messages that I see on-line.
I understand that everyone has equal rights to use technology as a resource:
- I understand that the school allows me to bring a device to school to support my learning. I will only use my device for personal or recreational use at break and lunchtime, and only in accordance with the school’s Behaviour for Learning policy.
- I understand that the school ICT systems are primarily intended for educational use and that I will not use the systems for personal or recreational use unless I have permission from a member of staff to do so.
- I will not try (unless I have permission from a member of staff) to make large downloads or uploads that might take up internet capacity and prevent other users from being able to carry out their work.
- I will not use the school ICT systems for on-line gaming, on-line gambling, internet shopping, file sharing in a network, or video broadcasting (eg YouTube), unless I have permission from a member of staff to do so.
- I will not bring into school any content that is offensive, age inappropriate or illegal. I understand that, if I do, I will be required to remove the content.
I will act as I expect others to act toward me:
- I will respect others’ work and property and will not access, copy, remove or otherwise alter any other user’s files, without the owner’s knowledge and permission.
- I will be polite and responsible when I communicate with others. I will not use strong, aggressive or inappropriate language and I appreciate that others may have different opinions.
- I will not take or distribute images of anyone without their permission.
I recognise that the school has a responsibility to maintain the security and integrity of its technology, to ensure the school’s smooth running:
- I will only use my personal hand held/ external devices (mobile phones, tablets, USB devices etc) in lessons if I have permission from a member of staff. I understand that, when I do use my own devices in school, I will follow the rules set out in this agreement, in the same way as if I was using school equipment.
- I will not try to upload, download or access any materials which are illegal or inappropriate or may cause harm or distress to others, nor will I try to use any programs or software that might allow me to bypass the filtering/ security systems in place to prevent access to such materials.
- I will immediately report any damage or faults involving equipment or software, however this may have happened.
- I will not open any attachments to emails, unless I know and trust the person / organisation who sent the email, due to the risk of the attachment containing viruses or other harmful programs.
- I will not install or attempt to install programs of any type on a school machine, or store programs on a computer, nor will I try to alter system settings.
- I will only use chat and social networking sites on the school ICT systems with permission from a member of staff.
When using the internet for research or recreation, I recognise that:
- should ensure that I have permission to use the original work of others in my own work.
- Where work is protected by copyright, I will not try to download copies (including music and videos).
- When I am using the internet to find information, I should take care to check that the information that I access is accurate, as I understand that the work of others may not be truthful and may be a deliberate attempt to mislead me.
I understand that I am responsible for my actions, both in and out of school:
- I understand that the school also has the right to take action against me if I am involved in incidents of inappropriate behaviour, that are covered in this agreement, when I am out of school and where they involve my membership of the school community (examples would be cyber-bullying, use of images or personal information).
- I understand that if I fail to comply with this Agreement for Acceptable Use of ICT, I will be subject to disciplinary action. This may include loss of access to the school network/internet, other sanctions consistent with the Behaviour for Learning Policy and, in the event of illegal activities, involvement of the police.
- I understand that if I do not sign this agreement, access may not be granted permission to bring my own device or access to school IT systems. I also accept that if I use my device in school or use any school IT systems, I will comply with this Agreement for Acceptable Use of ICT whether or not it has been signed.